Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Potty Training

Yesterday I bit the bullet and started potty training Benjamin. So far, it's going exactly how I expected, which is good and bad. I'm glad that it's not worse than I was expecting, but at the same time I wish it was happening better then I was expecting.

When I potty trained Elizabeth, it took four days. It was painful, I thought I was going to go a little crazy, then I did go a little crazy, but it worked! I took the naked kid approach. I let her roam around for a day or two totally naked, cleaning up messes as they happened, using M&M's to rewards successful trips to the bathroom, not freaking out over the mess, and doing lots of cheering. I attempted this approach with Micah, but it just didn't work because I was tutoring this fall. The process for him was a lot more drawn out. I find the key for my kids is going straight from a diaper to underwear. Pull-ups are just too much like a diaper, they don't know the difference, nor do they care to figure out that there is a difference. And, as with all parenting, consistency is the key! Dang it!!

So here we are on Day 2. Benjamin spent all day yesterday and this morning naked as a jay bird. After nap time, he went into big boy underwear. The first pair lasted about 15 minutes. But the 2nd pair is still dry, and we're going on two hours!!

As far as rewards, he gets a piece of candy (lifesaver or smartee) when he goes potty in the toilet AND has not had an accident. When potty training Elizabeth, she would have an accident, then squeeze out a couple drops, expecting a piece of candy. Amazing how quickly they work the system!

The true test will be when I let him out of the house in underwear and clothes. As of now, I'm hoping that will be tomorrow evening. But if there's one thing I've learned about potty training, it's that there's not point forcing something to happen that isn't ready to happen.

And I'm very sorry to those of you (Shannon!) who were bored to sleep by yet another parenting post. :-) I'll try to get some pictures soon! But not of potty training.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Potty training Stephen was one time I definitely missed TX weather. A wise mom advised me that warmer weather was a better time since you can leave them naked. By the summer, he was more stubborn about it and I was well into pregnancy. We bought many pull-ups during that time.
Hopefully, I'll learn from my mistakes!

Jesse and Sarah Chupp said...

You're right about the pull-ups. We finally had success with the boys when we just put them in big boy underwear. Jack will still peep and poop in a pull-up if he has it on (even though I consider them potty trained). Now the question is, how do you get them through the night in big boy underwear? I haven't even tried!