Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Beating the Heat

What a busy day we've had!

For me, the day started when I woke up at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep. And this was after only 5 hours of very interrupted sleep. If we want to look on the bright side, it did give me a chance to get the kitchen clean and make muffins.

Later this morning, we went to a movie with our friends the Findleys and the Haileys. I'm so thankful that I went with other moms because I made a total of 6 trips to the bathroom. It was nice not having to drag all three kids with me each time.

After the movie, we went to Wal Mart where I, once again, became "one of those mothers".

Benjamin was ridding in the seat part of the shopping basket, buckled in. Elizabeth and Micah offered to help push him. I should have been suspicious at this point, but I thought they were just trying to be nice, and let them push, while I pulled the basket. I realized it was getting very heavy and turned to see 90lbs of children hanging on taking a quick ride. "That's not safe!" I remind them. "Mommy just saw a basket flip over on kids because they were doing that!" We continued on our way, and the next thing I know, the basket is heavy again. While holding the basket, I turn to remind them of what they already know. At that exact moment, the basket flipped. Thankfully, I had my hand on the basket and was able to slow the fall. And thankfully, Benjamin was buckled in. It was one of those moments when I wanted to look at the kids and scream, "SEE!!! I told you so! Mommy does too know what's best!" But I didn't. The daggers in my eyes got the point across, just fine!

We rapidly finished our shopping trip, and headed home. The boys fell asleep on the way home, which was fine since I knew they had tummies full of popcorn. I fed Elizabeth lunch, got her ready for a nap, and Micah woke up after only and hour nap.

And did I mention that they didn't get to bed till 9pm last night and were all up by 6:30??

The original plan had been to hit the pool to help beat the 100 degree temp that we've been dealing with. But there was no way I was taking three cranky, moody, sleepy children to the pool! No way! Especially since Daddy was in class.

So we went to the splash pad for over and hour. It was GREAT!








While we were at the splash pad, Curtis told me he would come home on time, rather that after the kids went to bed, since it had been such a long day. HAAAA-LLE-LUUUU-JAH!!!!
All three kids are now sleeping, and I probably won't be too far behind. What a day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics!
Better than the pool I'm sure...

Alicia said...

Oh boy do I feel your pain! Those days haven't arrived with Hannah yet - they're on their way for sure, though. But I had so many of those days teaching pre-K. And I'm sure you got some quiet satisfaction from that giant bucket of water dumping on Elizabeth's head. =) We used to take a squirt bottle of water outside to spray the kids to keep them cool at recess. And, most days, it was my stress relief. Inside it was a "Take THAT!" Even though they loved it, it still felt like I was having a brief moment of payback. =)
Here's hoping today's MUCH better. And here's hoping this hot weather season flies by.

Megan said...

What a day! Glad the kids all went ot bed easily and I hope they slept long and hard!