Monday, June 08, 2009

Homeschool stuff!

At the tail end of our trip to Wichita, Curtis and I attended a two day homeschool conference. I had started looking at curriculum, but the teacher in me said I had to hold it, look at it, anazlyze it, research it, and love it before I could commit to buying it. Day 1 I had one goal in mind: pick a math curriculum. Before going to some workshops, Curtis and I headed to the curriculum sale. We took one look at the numerous booth, and decided to go the bathroom first. With empty bladders, and a deep breath, we dived in!


By the end of the day, we had more options then we knew what to do with!! Saxon, Singapore, Math U See, Abeka, Bob Jones... oh my!!! We did what any new homeschooling family would do. Ran home and picked my mom's "12 years of homeschooling" brain.

Not only were we overwhelmed with thoughts on curriculum, but we had also been to several workshops and seminars learning tons about homeschooling. There were so many options on workshops, and we were thrilled to see some that almost seemed tailor fitted to us. "I've decided to homeschool, now what?" was one of our favorites.

Day 2 arrived, and we headed back to the convention center to once again, decide what math program to use AND what phonics program to use. Here's what we're doing (all homeschooling vets out there, please feel free to give opinions! Nothing has been purchased yet)






Handwriting Without Tears

For science, we're planning on lots of nature walks, and having Elizabeth keep a nature journal. We'll also be "growing" butterflies, and keeping an ant farm. I've heard lots of positive things about introducing children to Creation, and that simply being the "curriculum" for science in kindergarten.

For Bible we'll continue what we're already doing which is memorizing the Children's Catechism. Elizabeth will also be memorizing more scripture, and I'm thinking of doing the Bible memorization ABC's.

Not only were we able to make some decisions about homeschooling, we were able to really feel like a homeschool family! Being with other homeschool families, talking with people, hearing stories, receiving encouragement and just planning for this coming school year was really exciting.

I think I'm going to love being a homeschool mommy!!! (Will someone please remind me of that later, if needed?)

4 comments:

Shannie said...

Oh boy, curriculum, YAY!

I think I just took a nap while reading this. ;)

Kristenph said...

You've made some great choices. I have used Singapore Math with my children and love it. I've also used Handwriting without Tears and it's super. I've never used Saxon Phonics, but I had a friend who loved it. I recently posted on my Kindergarten recommendations.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/kristenph/694551/

momma said...

i always loved getting new curriculum. i'm excited for all of you. you'll do a great job.

Dan said...

I was happy to discover your blog today. I was unable to find a contact link. I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you through a public comment. I've developed an educational program for Windows called SpellQuizzer that helps children learn their spelling and vocabulary words without the battle that parents often have getting them to sit down and write them out while the parents dictate to them. The parent enters the child's spelling words into the software making a sound recording of each word. Then the software helps the child practice his or her words. It really helped my children with their weekly spelling lists.

I would appreciate your reviewing SpellQuizzer in Party of Five. You can learn more about the program at http://www.SpellQuizzer.com. There's a video demo you can watch at http://www.spellquizzer.com/SpellQuizzer-Demo.htm. Finally, there's a page targeted to homeschooling families at http://www.spellquizzer.com/spelling-software-for-homeschoolers.htm. I'd be happy to send you a complimentary license for the software. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

Dan Hite
TedCo Software
Dan@SpellQuizzer.com