Sunday, August 09, 2009

VBS: Lessons Learned

As I mentioned in my previous post, this week was VBS week at our church. It was the 4th year I've helped out, and hands down, the best year I've ever had! God taught me so much, and here I was thinking that I would be doing the teaching!

Amanda and I teamed up again to teach 2nd graders. I had the opportunity to teach with Amanda last year, and was thrilled to work with her again! Out of the 8 students we had, only 2 were from our church. I was thrilled! Not only did I have new children to meet, I was able to share the gospel with these children. As I prepared to share about God's amazing love for us, I was struck by how simple the gospel is. When I'm talking with my children, or thinking of my salvation, I tend to over complicate it. But it's really simple, isn't it? One of our memory verses was Romans 10:9, "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." So simple that even I was able to tell these children about salvation. And simple enough that they understood. I truly felt like I was planting some big seeds!

I was also very humbled as I witnessed other teachers. Many teachers had more kids than they were planning on, or didn't get the class they were anticipating, or didn't have things go exactly the way they were wanting, or had children who were challenging. Yet I didn't hear any complaining or grumbling. Instead, I saw people step up, love children, love and serve each other and share the gospel. It was encouraging for me and helped me to not complain and grumble as much.

Sure, I'm exhausted! It was a long week, and I'm glad that it's over. But it was a great week! And I am so thankful for the work that God did in me this year, at VBS.

No comments: