Sunday, August 02, 2009

Swim lessons

On Thursday we had our last swim lesson for the year.

YAY!!!!!!

Here's a quick summary of swim lessons 2009

Micah was in the Frog class, Level 2. He complete the exit test, and should move to level 3 next year.

I was worried about how Micah would do in swim lessons. He's more hesitant than the other kiddos, and though he's a pretty good swimmer, he doesn't like to take the time to breathe, and often ends up freaking himself out. But he did great!! He did a really good job, and gained a lot of confidence.
The last day of class, Micah got to ride the snake, something he's been wanting to do since Day 1. He also got to slide down the log slide. I was very proud of how well he did!!

Elizabeth was in the Frog class as well, but in Level 3. She passed the exit test, and will move up to the next class next year. Elizabeth's always been my little fish, so I anticipated her doing well, which she did!
Her class spent their time in the big pool, using a platform to swim to the side. I was impressed that she learned how to float longer, learned the back stroke, and got much better and a free style type stroke.
On her last day of class, she got to jump the lily pads. She enjoyed swim lessons, and would have stayed longer if I had let her.Benjamin was in the Starfish class, and was told to move up to the Frog class next year (based solely on age). Benjamin's like his big sister.... a FISH!! He spent a lot of time being quite bored with his class, but didn't show it too much since he was just thrilled to be in the water.

His favorite part of the class was diving for rings. He would throw it, we would let it sink to the bottom, then I would push him to the bottom, he would grab the ring, and jump off the bottom to the service.


On the last day of class, his class got to go to the frog pool! He loved going down the slide, playing in the "waterfall" and having a bit more freedom than usual, away from mom.

Overall, swim lessons went well. I'm not sure if we'll choose to do them again next year. I felt like the kids would have learned just as much from Curtis and I and our frequent trips to the pool. And of course with a new baby in the mix, there's no telling what life will look like!

I'm glad swim lessons are over, and I'm looking forward to getting to the pool a few more times before the end of the summer.

4 comments:

momma said...

Looks like everyone had fun!! That looks like a great pool...so much fun stuff! What's with the color on the pic of you and Benjamin....he looks orange!!

Deirdre said...

As a former swim lesson instructor, I say good job getting them into lessons. Hate to burst the "we could've done it" bubble... but really they are more focused (the big ones anyway) and learn more and are forced to try more outside their comfort level with instructors than parents. Keep them in lessons - it's worth it!

Kierstyn said...

Yes, my orange son. Curtis took a ton of pictures of the kids on the last day of swim lessons. Little did he know that the setting had gotten changed, and all the pictures were in shades of black! He tried to retake as many pictures as he could, but there were some that I messed with in photo shop, but Benjamin turned orange.

Carissa said...

I'm not the reason the setting got changed am I???