Monday, August 31, 2009

The good, the bad, and the poop

Sigh. We did it!!! Day 1 of homeschooling, DONE! This morning, as I was getting ready for the day, it hit me that if we homeschool all our children, all the way through, then 19 years from now, I will be done homeschooling. That thought made me very tired, and was quickly put out of my head.


Here are my observations from Day of 1.


The Good:
  • I was able to pray with Elizabeth before we hit the books, something that I know wouldn't be happening in a public school. We were able to pray that God would bless my efforts at teaching, and her efforts at learning.
  • We memorized scripture, and talked about God's promises to us, before we even thought of math or phonics. I like the foundation to her education that we're able to lay.
  • Between our structured lesson time, all three kids were able to play with each other. I can see how homeschooling has great potential for helping my children develop wonderful relationships with each other.
  • Micah and Benjamin were sweet buddies today while I was working with Elizabeth.
  • Curtis decided we should all eat out in celebration of our first day.


The Bad:
  • I'm tired. Very, very, very tired.
  • I don't feel like things are getting accomplished around the house. I know that's not what's important, but it's still an adjustment.
  • I had to remind myself that just because I have a plan, it doesn't mean things will always go according to my plan.
  • The boys did well, but are still adjusting to not having my undivided attention.
  • They're also adjusting to not being able to play with Elizabeth whenever they want.


The Poop:
As I was starting school, Micah announced from the bathroom, "I pooped, and I need you to come wipe my bottom!" I'll bet other kindergarten teachers don't have to deal with that.

3 comments:

Carissa said...

Glad to hear it went well...even with the poop!

Unknown said...

The good...you lived to school another day, and so did the kids.

The bad...you have some days with much bigger challenges still ahead of you

The poop...this does have to be dealt with in kindergarden!

Glad that you see the value for your children in the midst of the "unplanned".

I love you and I'm proud of you, Curtis and the kiddos.

Grand Daddy

Hannah D A said...

I don't have a kindergartener this year, but I do teach a pre-schooler, a first, a fourth, a fifth and a seventh grader and I often have to break to wipe poop too. Welcome to homeschooling 101.

Marian and I have often lamented the fact that as homeschoolers, we get interrupted to answer the phone, wash dishes, fold laundry, and yes, wipe poop. But there are more significant, eternal reasons to keep on keepin' on. So don't be discouraged. You're on the right track!