Thursday, January 22, 2009

My life with my boys

I am completely fascinated by my children. Never before have I been so mesmerized by three people. Every day, I learn something new about each of them, they make me laugh, they make me crazy, and each day is different from the day before.

Elizabeth and I am so ridiculously similar. She cracks me up, and I offend find myself thinking, "Is this the kind of kid I was?" "Did I talk this much?" "How many more questions could she possibly ask?!?" But being Elizabeth's mother has been somewhat predictable. I'm a girl, she's a girl, we're very similar, I already see us struggling with the some of the same sins (pride, vanity, unguarded mouth... just to name a few!). So even though I'm fascinated with her, I'm not quite as surprised by her.

But mothering the boys.... that's been an adventure like no other! I look at them, watch what they're doing and think, "I have no idea what is happening!" or "Why in the world would they think to do that??" or "Do they really think that's a good idea?!"

For example: A few days ago, we were working to get out to door to go to Young Mom's Bible Study. I rounded up Benjamin and Elizabeth, and they were both getting buckled up. I turn to get Micah in the van, and see that he is standing in the doorway of the van, with a HUGE stick, trying to poke Elizabeth. What in the world made him think that was a good idea?

And can any of you other moms of boys tell me what's up with boys and their... umm.... trying to keep this family friendly... "Boy parts"? In a perfect world, my sons would run around naked, playing with their boys parts. I think that's why potty training went fairly easily with Micah. He was so intrigued by his parts, that he thought going potty was super cool! And already my boys have had peeing contests. In the bath tub!!! So gross.

Wicker. What's the point when you have boys?? I have a wicker chest that we used for keeping blankets in. It's located right by the couch, so that I can easily pull out a blanket while watching a movie. The boys think that it's leverage to climb onto the back of the couch. Or perhaps it's just something to jump off of. Either way, the wicker chest is just about toast. Benjamin out the final nail in the chest's coffin when he fell through the top and got stuck. Nice! To boys, wicker = kindling.

When I had Elizabeth, I assumed that I would have all girls. I came from a family of all girls, Curtis came from a family of all boy, so when we had a girl first it seemed logical that all our children would be girls. But I'm so very thankful that God has chosen Curtis and I to parent boys! I don't know what's going on half the time, but it sure is exciting!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I can totally sympathize on the "boy parts" issue. We had to have a number of conversations with Connor about how there are some things that we don't do in public places. I'm going to leave it at that. :) I've also noticed that my boy has some sort of magnetic power to attract dirt. I mean, he doesn't go anywhere, so where does it all COME from? I'll put him in the car perfectly clean, and by the time we get out he's filthy. Do you have that problem?

When we adopt our next one we've already decided that we won't specifically request a boy or girl, but the odds are that we'll end up with a boy because about 70%of couples adopting internationally request a girl, so there are many more boys than girls who need homes. Part of me thinks I'm insane for thinking that I can parent two boys, but at least I have all the clothes!

Caroline said...

um, yeah. I thought I told you what was up with boy parts a couple of months ago, at the hobby night. So I say as my little boy runs around the house with only a T shirt on and the "Happy New Year" mylar balloon cinched around his waist as he insisted. The ribbon is making his butt itchy.

Christi said...

Hmmm..."only logical" that you'd have all girls? That's not very logical at all!!! ;-) And yeah, Anthony hurt himself the other night because he was a little overly interested in his boy parts. hehe Guess that's just a "joy" of being a boy.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...there's just too much opportunity to respond to just one comment!

So I won't respond at all