Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dinner Debacle

The plan was fairly simple. It originated with the thought that since the kids had all taken great naps (the "perk" to being up at 5am) that we should seize the opportunity to eat out. My first thought was that we could go to Roadhouse and use one of our Christmas gift cards. I also thought I heard a margarita calling me. I called, and kids eat free on Mondays.

So I go to this website, and start finding tons of great restaurants where kids eat free on Tuesday night. We decided on Fazoli's, since it's not a place we go to often, and you can't go wrong with spaghetti! We get there, decided what we want, I start ordering, only to find out that they no longer have the cheap kids meals. We leave.

Next, we try Fuddrucker's. Same result.

I call my Mom and she suggests Jason's Deli. She called, while I ran into Fuddrucker's, and surprise, surprise, they no longer do cheap kids meals either. Notice a trend?

Pizza Hut! They no longer have a buffet.

Double Dave's! No special discount, just the regular two-for-Tuesday.

Golden Coral. Benjamin and Micah would be free, but we would have to pay $4 for Elizabeth and $10 for Curtis and I, not including $1.89 drinks!!!

My plans for a fun, cheap dinner out are rapidly falling apart. The kids are also falling apart since they are super hungry.

Finally, we settle on Chick-Fil-A. We had wanted somewhere a little more out of our ordinary, but we also just needed to eat!

It turned out to be a very fun evening! With the purchase of a combo meal, we got a free 4 piece nugget kid's meal. Our grand total came out to $15!! And we got to play! And we ran into friends!

As we started getting the kids ready to leave, they went into a "we want dessert!" plea. Our friends told us that we could take their unopened toy, and trade it in for icecream cones. Perfect!!

We got our fun, cheap, family dinner out, for only $15.

Including drinks and dessert!

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow, $15 for five people? We have trouble staying under $20 with 3. But we can't do chick-fil-A - they fry in peanut oil. Shucks! But glad there was a happy ending that didn't involve you going home and having to try to make something with 3 very hungry kiddos.

Tracy said...

I can't believe going out to dinner turned out to be so difficult!

I could have told you that cheap kids meals are a thing of the past, and Pizza Hut did away with the buffet. Of course I found both out the same way you did - Bummer. My co-worker and I tried to hit up the PH buffet a few weeks ago. They told us that had to do away with it because they were "losing over 1200 dollars a month on it". It all sounds like a bunch of bologna to me. Although I love it, I feel they think way too highly of their pizza. Even their coupons are now super expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just checked the Fazoli website and it says they have a Kids' Night on Tuesday but I guess your location chooses not to participate. If you send over the address I will add a comment to the listing letting others!

Anyways, just wanted to send over this link for Buy 1 Get 1 Free small spaghetti at Fazoli's - it's a printable coupon you can get from their website:

http://www.freespaghetti.com/

Kitty :)

Faith Weir said...

Hey,
I just wanted to say how much I admire the fact that you kept searching until you found a cheap restaurant! I would have given in and paid way to much for food that my kids probably wouldn't eat. I am glad you were rewarded for your persistence.

ninepoundhammer said...

I had chicken spaghetti and sangria last night--for free. PLUS, as an after supper treat, I got to do my taxes!

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!