Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The fateful phone call

10 years ago today, my Dad got The Fateful Phone Call.

The night before, Curtis and I had been IMing (Instant Messaging). The summer had given us some time to get to know each other better, and we were both enjoying our new found friendship. Curtis was a sophomore at A&M, while I was a freshman at VRJC, the local junior college. That put us about five hours apart.

Everyone around us had started seeing the potential for our friendship to move into something "more". I saw the potential, but didn't want a long distance relationship, didn't wanted to start a relationship right as I was also starting my college career, and of course, he wasn't reformed! Oh, I had a good, long list of reasons why I was not going to fall in love with Curtis Krajca!

We had been putting up with a lot of the silly, "He likes you!" "You guys should get together!" Then my Mom flat out asked me, "Are you falling in love with Curtis?" "Of course not!" I replied. I had a list, remember?

I was relaying this story (minus the long list of reason I would NEVER date him) to him when he got kinda weird and quiet. So I asked, "What's the big deal? Are you falling in love with me?" Silence. Not golden at that moment! I thought I knew what he would say.... but boy was I wrong! He told me YES! He thought he was falling in love with me.

And being the good little girl I was (and still am!) I told him that I was going to bed, and he should call my Dad the next day while I was in class.

And he did.

I'm not sure exactly what was said. Something along the lines of pursuing a deeper relationship with me. And my Dad, being the cool, calm guy he is told Curtis that he would talk to me, and take time to pray.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Poor Curtis waited three days for an answer. But I did have a list that I need to settle first!

I love our story! I love how sweet it is. I love the fact that both of us had our parents involved. Was it perfect? Of course not! Despite a really good start, did we always do things the way we should? Of course not! But God used the beginning of our relationship to really lay a strong foundation.

And I'm very thankful that Curtis made that fateful phone call 10 years ago!

5 comments:

Shannie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannie said...

After I read this half of me went "Awww!" The other half threw up in my mouth a little. You guys really are too perfect and it is making me look bad so cut it out already!

Unknown said...

If I had only known the difference 10 years would make! I have no regrets, and count God's blessings to our family in you, Curtis, Elizabeth, Micah, and Benjamin.

No gifts for this anniversary though.

Love you all,
Da

Sanja said...

I know what you mean by the "God laid down a good foundation." My relationship that I am in now, when we began, was a little rocky. I felt like my boyfriend was completely closed off and didn't want to have what we could have had. But after 7 months and me going to Europe for a while, he realized how much he cared and he opened up. And of course, being a believe, I know God had something to do with it because I prayed to him every night. All I said was "God, I ask for blessing over our relationship and where ever you take us in life is fine with me." And he kept us together even though we had talked about breaking up for when he moves to Cali. So that foundation is very necessary for a good relationship. Good luck with everything!

xoxo

Megan said...

10 years already! That's crazy! I remember hearing about that IM a day or two later. Was I really 13 when ya'll started dating? Weird!