Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Remember Andy?

A few months ago, I introduced you to Andy. Andy is the token white kids AND the token disabled kid on the show Mia and Miguel. As you may recall, Andy only has one arm. I know. I'm trying not to laugh too!

Earlier this week, Elizabeth was watching Mia and Miguel. On this particular episode, a new student came to school, and this student was deaf. On a side note, I think that this is a much more "normal" disability then someone with one arm. Just my thought though. I was also glad that Andy was no longer the token disabled kid. Anyway, the deaf student had an interpreter who explained to the other children that deaf people can use their hands to talk. Andy then asks, "Can I do sign language with only hand?' I died laughing!!! The deaf kid (whose name I never caught) assured Andy that he could do lots of signs with his one arm, but that he might not be able to do all the signs. No joke!

Poor Andy! Has no one heard of prosthetics?!?!

4 comments:

Jamison said...

I was seriously going to ask you if you guys had any "Andy Encounters" as of late...thanks for not disappointing me!!!
Still giggling...

Sherry said...

Hilarious! We are going to have to look into this show, although I don't want to laugh out loud and be a bad example to my impressionable toddler!

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy but I don't see what is funny about only having one arm...

Kierstyn said...

Dear Anonymous (or should I really call you crazy?)

There is absolutly nothing funny about having one arm. I for one, am very thankful for my two arms.

The funniness is found in how random it seems to have a character on a children's show with one arm. You see lots of deafness, blindness or people in a wheelchair (I've even seen a dragon ina wheelchair). But someone with one arm? Random! Funny.

Kierstyn