Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Andy




Meet Andy.

I met Andy this afternoon while folding laundry. Elizabeth was watching a little TV, and the boys were napping. We've found it to be a little bit of a challenge to find decent TV for Elizabeth in the afternoons. But there's a show called Maya and Miguel on PBS that is harmless.

Maya and Miguel are Hispanic (based on their names, I'm sure you're shocked) and they have a wide ethnic range of friends. Andy is one of their friends. Andy also happens to be the token white guy on the show.

Another thing you may have noticed about Andy is that he only has one and a half arms. When I noticed that today, I must admit I was a little taken aback. Poor Andy, not only is he the only white guy, he's also the token disabled person.

Now, please don't get me wrong. I think it is a very good thing that children's shows portray such a wide range of characters. But usually, when it comes to disabilities, it's something a little less random. You see a lot of character in wheel chairs, or who are blind. So when I see a kid running around with only one full arm, I was surprised (and amused!).

All this to say, Andy made me chuckle today. He also reminded me of how important it is to teach our children about all the many different kinds of people God made.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Why does his name have to be Andy? Why couldn't it be Pete or Darryl?

What really throws me is just how darn happy Andy seems, even though he'll never be able to drive a stick shift or play the guitar. In his long and handless life, he'll never know the thrill of winning a foosball tournament or competing in the olympics on the parallel bars.

And yet Andy couldn't seem happier. Perhaps one-handedness isn't his biggest disability.

Jamison said...

I wonder if they have an episode that explains how Andy got to be one-handed. That would really educate our children.
(Episode 7: stay away from saw mills or you will end up like the white kid!!)

ninepoundhammer said...

NOT SO FAST, Andrew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnUwA6c67k

Kierstyn said...

andrew, I can't tell you how hard I laughed when I found out his name was Andy! I think we can all learn a lesson from Andy and his happiness... hah! Did you see the link? IF you click on that, you can see Andy skateboard. Check out the placement of the elbow pads! LOL!

Jamison, I think you should start writing for children's TV!

Matt, that was funny! Amazing, but FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Matt. Andy could also pursue a career as a drummer (see Rick Allen of Def Leppard) or even a major league pitcher (i.e. Jim Abbott), so his opportunities are not quite as limited as you might think.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm trying not to laugh out loud with Gracie Mae sleeping in the other room. When you get tired of dealing with three children, just remember armless Andy and how happy he is. That really did crack me up. It is never boring at the Krajca household! :)

ninepoundhammer said...

So, let me get this straight:

If Andy embarks upon a life of crime, would that make him...(wait for it)...

The One-Armed Bandit?