Thursday, January 17, 2008

To Austin and back

We made it. In one piece. There were moments where I wasn't sure that would happen. In detail, here is what it's like to travel with the three Krajca kids to Austin and back in one morning.

My goal was to leave the house at 6:15, allowing plenty of time for traffic and breakfast. We had barley pulled out of our cul-de-sac, at 6:20, when we realized Curtis for got his lunch. No biggie. We head to Shipley's to get some breakfast and caffeine and then head towards Curtis' office where he will work out, shower, and then actually work. As we are pulling onto the Hwy, he realizes that he has forgotten his clothes. I start crying, as I see my well laid plan falling down around me, and turn around. I drop him off at work, and hit the road.

About 20 minutes into our drive, Elizabeth informs me that her TV screen (yes, we are one of THOSE families now!) is blue. She is also very quick to inform me that Micah's screen is NOT blue! I pull over, hoping that I will be able to get this figured out and save my sanity. Turns out it was just a cord that had been pulled out, thank you Micah! Crisis avoided, back on the road.

About 15 minutes after that, Micah is very frantically exclaiming, "Poopy!" over, and over, and over. After holding him off for as long as I could, and finding a place to pull over, I stop in what was once the parking lot of a gas station. Elizabeth quickly informs me that she has to go potty, Micah is still screaming, "poopy!" and I just to get done as quickly as possible so that the baby will stay asleep. I begin to change Micah, who isn't poopy! I put him back in his seat, grab Elizabeth to help her pee on the side of the road. There was literally no where to stop! She very quickly realized it was cold, and decided she didn't have to pee after all. All that, no poop, no pee, and an awake baby! Oh, goodie!

By the time we reach Elgin, which is about 30 minutes from where we need to be, we all had to stop. Turns out it was Benjamin who was poopy. Let me tell you, unless you have three sets of hands, dealing with three kids in a bathroom, alone, with no stroller, is a NIGHTMARE! As I begin to change Benjamin, I realize that I have dropped the only clean diaper I had brought into the bathroom, into the toilet. Way to go Mommy! Thankfully, the super absorbent core wasn't effected, and I was able to shake and wipe most of the water off. I'm not even going to think about all the possible diseases that my sweet baby might now contract.

Finally, we make it to the helmet place! I refuse to pay for the parking garage, and always park in a shopping center which is very close, and walk. I had the double stroller, and was ready! But, my grand plan didn't take into consideration the slight detour I would have to take since I couldn't do stairs. Nor did I bring warm enough clothes for Elizabeth, who felt the need to remind me during the entire walk, that her hands, face and lips were cold.

See Benjamin's blog for details on the appointment. All went very well!

We walk back to the van, load everyone up, and set out to find a McD's with an indoor Playplace. Thanks to my wonderful hubby, we found one. The kids and I enjoyed an hour playing at McD's, eating and changing diapers.

At this point, it's about 10:45. I knew the boys were tired, but I also knew that Micah would sleep on the way home making that his only nap of the day. I wanted to make it a good one, so we headed to a Christian book store to buy a couple CD's. That was another NIGHTMARE! But, I couldn't very well freak out right in the middle of the Christian bookstore, so I packed everyone up, bought a CD for myself which I ended up not liking, and got out of there ASAP!

The ride home was nice and quiet. No stops. It was perfect!

All in all, a successful trip. But a trip that I am not planning on repeating any time soon! Oh, and please forgive any parts of this blog that don't make sense or have terrible grammatical errors. It's been a VERY long day.

4 comments:

ninepoundhammer said...

YIKES!

Amy said...

Goodness, Kierstyn! What a day (or half-day). But, hey, everyone is safe, sounds like all electronics are in working order, and you lived to blog about it. Thanks for sharing your never-boring life with us!

Jamison said...

I'm glad you guys are safe. You are officially SuperMommy.
Love!!!!

Sherry said...

I agree with Jamison! Thanks for the update SuperMommy!!! Sorry it was so rough - for future reference we have an indoor playland... called my house! :)