Monday, January 02, 2012

Story vs. pictures

One of reasons I love taking tons of pictures of my kids and the things that go on in our life is because often time, the story that pictures tell is "prettier" than the real life story. An example of this is the pictures below versus the reality that was our 11th anniversary.

We knew we'd be in Wichita Falls for our anniversary, heading home that afternoon and evening. I was hoping to do something fun for our actual anniversary, like visit the church where we got married, buy cupcakes from the bakery where our wedding cake come from.... anything to make the day memorable and special.

However, Thursday night, Elizabeth woke up throwing up. She threw up for three hours, and just felt miserable. Curtis gave me a kiss, wished me happy anniversary, and headed to be shortly after midnight, while I tried to help poor Elizabeth.

Friday morning (the day of our anniversary) we learned that my mom had also been up and sick during the night. Our concern was that we were dealing with something contagious, so we decided to cancel our plans, and head straight home as soon as possible. When you're dealing with little sleep, a sick child, the concern of others getting sick, you're away from home, and you're facing about 5 hours in the car, little things like romance quickly get left behind.

After a rough car trip, we arrived home shortly after 5. Our plan was that Curtis would get the kids settled while I ran to the store for a quick, bland, healthy dinner. We would enjoy a quiet evening to ourselves, some takeout, Castle, and margaritas after the kids went to bed. Our plan were again derailed when we realized that we'd forgotten to pay our electricity bill, and the electricity had been shut off. Super!

We ended our day with take out and me falling asleep on the couch.

I'm so thankful for the pictures below! I'm thankful for the way my friend Carissa was able to really capture us in some sweet, fun and romantic moments. And though our anniversary wasn't ideal, I'm thankful for the memorable day, celebrating another year with the man God blessed me with. There is no one else I would want to spend that day with!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

You're so sweet to thank me. I had a BLAST doing it!