Thursday, April 03, 2008

Life as a Bachelor (at least temporarily)

For the past week, I have been living life in College Station without my family as they are visiting grandparents in Kansas. Some might see this as a great opportunity to live life as a bachelor in College Station, playing video games, hanging out with friends, and just living it up in general. Going into this past week, knowing that I would have a week to myself, I started out with many of the same thoughts. However, as I near the end of the time apart and prepare for a trip to Wichita Falls (that's in Texas, not Kansas) to rendezvous with my family, I am glad that this ordeal is almost over. I long to be with them, to hold my children close, and especially to see and hold Kierstyn, my beloved wife whom I miss most of all. Thanks to the technology of webcams and the simplicity of picking up the phone, I have been able to see and talk to everyone just about every day, but it just isn't the same. Also, thanks to Kierstyn's family for loving and caring for them so well that I am not troubled with worry over their being under someone else's watch, only wishing that I could be with them as well.

Before Kierstyn and I were married, we spent the dating and engaged portions of our relationship separated by a few hundred miles, wishing that we could be together but never knowing what that would actually be like. Now, having been married for just over 7 years, I know what I am missing when she is not around. It's just not as much fun going home at the end of the day when I know I am going home to an empty house (except for K.C. who is actually quite happy to see me since she hasn't been out all day). Sure I don't have to "deal with" the tired, hungry children that are trying to drive their mother crazy while she is working so hard to get dinner ready and mitigate the sibling battles simultaneously, but I miss it. That's part of what I signed up for when we decided to become parents. I am certainly not one of the young mom's in Kierstyn's Bible study, but I will give her an AMEN with regard to the scripture ("Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him."Psalm 127: 3) that she quoted below in her "Feeling Normal" post. All that we have gone through with Benjamin has really helped me to appreciate what a wonderful blessing our children are, and even more so how greatly I have been blessed by having Kierstyn along side me as my wife and best friend.

No offense to the single guys out there who may read this, but you can keep your bachelor life and I will take my life as a family man (I am sure that many of you would be happy with that arrangement). It may be chaotic at times, but it is my chaos, and I want it back. Thankfully, I only have to wait one more day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kierstyn, did you really write this? jk Is this your first post Curtis? It is a VERY good one and very sweet. I know Kierstyn will love reading these words. :-) Drive safe!

-Christi

Sherry said...

Praise God for family men like you Curtis! :)

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Curtis, you are a man to be cloned! I must say I married a man just as great, and I am thankful for him every day! Not only are the words sweet, but I must say I am very impressed with your writing prowess. No wonder the English teacher married you! Kierstyn is one lucky lady and I know she knows that!

Sherry said...

oh were, oh were could our Kierstyn be.. oh were, oh were could she be? Just want you to know I'm missing my favorite Krajca 3 fix! :) Love, Jason's Clan

Jamison said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh CURTIS!!! This was such a sweet post.
=)
Yay for you!