Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Why?

That is Elizabeth's favorite question. I'm trying to be patient, but seriously!! The worst part is that she asks why to stuff she already know. Example:

Mommy says "Take your clothes off and put on your bathing suit."
E says "Why do I have to take off my clothes?"
Mommy "I don't know Elizabeth why should you take your clothes off before we go to the pool?"
E "So my clothes don't get wet."

So, I've started trying to turn it around a little. Today, we were ready Beauty and the Beast. There was a picture of the wolves watching Belle's Dad, but all you see are yellow eyes. Here's how the conversation went.

E "What's that?"
Me "Wolf eyes."
E "Why?"
Me "Why what?"
E "Why are those wolf eyes?
Me
E "Because that's how God made them."

Works for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Austin was almost 3, he and I had a similar conversation. He asked "Why?" all the time and I, too, turned it around on him. I recorded it in his baby book. It goes like this:
Austin: I love you mommy.
Me: Why do you love me?
Austin: I love you very much.
Me: Why do you love me very much?
Austin: (Pause) Because it's my way. (Pause again) It's my way in Jesus.

Treasure those "whys". :)
--Hannah

Sherry said...

Love the why story. The constant whys will stop but then it turns to why not? I'm not sure how long those will last...