Friday, August 24, 2007

The Pantry

My children are in love with the pantry. You would think it was another door into Narnia! When they go into the pantry without my permission, and I remove them, there is screaming, crying and general discontent for several minutes. For those of you who haven't seen my pantry, here's an idea.

What is it about the pantry?! I find myself asking this question frequently. Here are a few of the answers I have come up with.
* Obviously, it has food. But not just any food. The pantry is where I keep the fruit snacks, the chips, the peanut butter, and all those other unhealthy snacks that are for rare occasions. And today, there are Starbursts on the floor. Why, I'm not sure.
* The pantry is where the playdough shelf is. That's right! The Krajcas have an entire shelf of playdough, and playdough accessories!
* Mops and brooms are stored in the pantry. And as any parents know, mops and brooms are more than that in the hands of an imaginative toddler.
* Not only do we have a playdough shelf, we also have an art supply shelf which contains coloring books, crayons, markers, paper, scissors and GLUE! Elizabeth's new favorite thing is scissors and glue. Mommy's new least favorite art supplies are scissors and glue.
* As you can see in the picture, I hang my apron in the pantry. I have one apron, which has been worn more by my Mom than myself. Elizabeth, has two apron, both of which are hung behind mine. When she gets to wear her apron, it means she is Mommy's official helper.
* Shelves. A climbing challenge.
* And of course, the trash can is in the pantry. Thankfully, Micah is just about out of the stage where he things the trash can is a toy and/or a place to get a little snack.

I've put a child lock on the door. But those of you who have children know how totally pointless those can be. Elizabeth not only knows how to open the child lock, but how to break it if she wants. So, I'm looking at investing in really big mouse traps.

6 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

There is also the fact that it is an enclosed space, which makes it prime property for imaginative play.

Anonymous said...

Put a latch up high (like on the back door at your Grandma's house). At least for another year or so Micah can't reach 6'!!
Love,
D

Joshua Butcher said...

Thank you for the kind comments on my blog Kierstyn. Hannah and I consider it a privilege to be close to the children and parents who are seeking to raise their children to love God and others. Hopefully we can learn a lot from you and Curtis as well as all the others before God sends us biological children. But until then we are more than content to help in our share of raising our Church children (for so they are!) in whatever ways we can!

I have already seen how God has (and continues to!) sanctified me as an individual through my relationship with Hannah. I can only imagine (and I have been wisely told) how much more sanctification occurs in the rearing of children! What a joy and privilege it is to be children of God within the family of God, especially with the local family we have at WPC.

Sherry said...

Hmmm... it really does have a certain Narnia look about it. Are you sure that isn't it??!! Prince Micah & Princess Elizabeth may be plotting to overthrow the Ice Queen. ;)

Unknown said...

Did I ever tell you about my memories of hiding behind the clothes dryer on cold winter days in Maine and eating "Frosty Flakes" straight from the box?

And a little later in life when a 55 gal barrel became a prime "hide out"?

Imagination in the safety of a loving home is a wonderful thing!

Good job C&K!
Grand Daddy

ninepoundhammer said...

Have you tried telling them that giant, hairy monsters that eat children live in there? :)