Monday, November 05, 2012

Month of Thankfulness... Day 5

 Today I'm thankful for the ability to read.  I'm thankful that I've been the one to teach my children to read, and see the light in their eyes when they read for the first time.

Today, I saw that in the eyes of Micah.  He's been a struggling reader... nervous to read... afraid of failing... settling with Bob Books.   This morning as we were beginning our school day, I gave my sweet son a dose of harsh encouragment, and placed a Little Bear book in his hands.  I could see it in his eyes... he was convinced he couldn't read "a real book".  But then, after only one page, I saw the change in his eyes as he realized HE COULD read real books!!  That simple moment meant so much more to me as a mom than Micah reading a book.  I saw my son's bravery.  I saw how he wanted to give up, make excuses, throw a fit a quit.  And then I saw him soften, become brave, and try. 

That moment is why I love homeschooling.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay, Micah!!