Thursday, November 15, 2012

Month of Thankfulness... Day 15

I'm thankful to have working smoke alarms.

That's what I kept telling myself this morning when Timothy and I were woken up by all the smoke alarms in our house going off.  Curtis turned the heater on this morning for the first time, and apparently there was a little dust on the heating-coil-thingy.  By no means was our home filled with smoke, so it's nice to know the smoke alarms are working well and are highly sensitive.

When I was a little girl, I had reoccurring nightmares of our house catching fire.  I remember my parents walking me through the house, showing me that the stove was off, the blinking light showed the smoke alarm was working, and going over the family escape plan.  Now that I'm the mommy, I still like the reassurance of the blinking light, showing me the smoke alarm is working.  And this morning, I got to see first hand how well it works!

I'm also thankful that my the oldest children are aware of the escape plan.  When Timothy and I came out of the bedroom, the older kids were nowhere to be found.  When they heard the alarm and saw a bit of smoke, they booked it outside.  Yay for being prepared!!

No comments: