Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Stupid people

Stupid people are annoying. Yesterday, I had an especially annoying encounter with a stupid person.

Micah had been having some allergy/asthma issues. One of the special things about a kiddo with asthma is that things can rapidly move to something more serious, like pneumonia. Which is what happened with Micah. Curtis took him into an urgent care clinic at about 6. Sure enough, he has pneumonia. Thankfully, it's not too bad.

Curtis took Micah's prescription to the pharmacy. The pharmacist told Curtis to hold on while she checked to see if they had that specific kind of medicine. She looked, said they did, and asked if he wanted to pick it up at 7:15. It was already after 7:15, so Curtis suggested 8:15. It took her a minute, but her confusion cleared and she confirmed that we could pick up the prescription at 8:15.

I showed up at the pharmacy at 8:40. The pharmacist who helped me (who wasn't the same one Curtis had talked to) said that she didn't have any record of Micah's new prescription. After a call to Curtis, we figure out which pharmacist took the prescription. Upon checking, she still had it and hadn't even entered it into the computer, much less filled it. The kind, intelligent pharmacist said she would take care of everything for me.

Minutes later, she came back to the window and told me that they didn't have any more of the medication that I was needing. What?!?! She called to another location, which was pretty close, and they didn't have any either. Together, they figured out how much of a certain medication they could combine to give Micah what the doctor was wanting. But they had to get the ok from the doctor. At this point, it's after 9pm, and the doctor couldn't be reached. Imagine that!

At this point I'm inside the pharmacy, in my PJ's, rather than the drive thru. They find the medicine that I need at a store on the other side of town.

I drive over there, only to find out that all this work is for a prescription that is $90!!! I had been dealing with this for almost an hour, I was tired, I had other things to do, and I had a son at home with pneumonia waiting on me. So I gave them the money and went home.

I know we're all human. I know we all make mistakes. But I can't help but be so frustrated with the pharmacist who originally took the prescription. If she had actually checked, we would have discovered that the mess before 9pm. Or if she had filled the prescription by the promised time, we would have been able to avoid all the round and round.

The whole situation reminded me of two things. One, I need to show grace and kindness to people, even when I'm annoyed, tired or they're stupid. Two: Though I might not see it, I need try my hardest to not make other people's lives any harder than needed.

Wouldn't this be a nice place to say I learned my lessons, Micah's doing well, and we all lived happily ever after? But we wouldn't be the Krajcas if that happened!

I got home, gave Micah his meds, and he passed out. I was finally able to start taking care of the things I needed to do around the house. I fed the baby, and we were heading to bed when we heard Micah having a rough time breathing. We got him up and started giving him a breathing treatment. In the middle of his breathing treatment, he started throwing up. All over the couch, all over himself (even in his hair), and all over Curtis.

It was a short night for Curtis and I. And this morning, Micah's doing worse than yesterday. I'm hoping that his medicine will kick in, he'll be able to rest and start feeling better soon. Until then, I'm off to drink more caffeine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bad time! ! ! I hope Micah is doing better and you and Curtis will have a better night Love

Caroline said...

oh , sweet Kierstyn. Hope Micah is doing better. :(