Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy birthday Elizabeth (a day early :-))

Six years ago today, at about 5:30pm, Curtis and I arrived at St. Joseph's Hospital. I had been having contraction for 12 hours, and since they were only getting worse, we thought maybe we should get things cheeked out.. My due date was still two weeks away, and we were fully anticipating a late arrival, since that's what everyone had told us. First babies always arrive late!

When the nurse informed us that I was contracting every three minutes, and was 5cm, Curtis looked at the nurse and said, "So, we can stay?" She smiled, chuckled, and informed us, "You will be parents in a few hours." We looked at each other and cried.

We were so looking forward to meeting our first child! We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, and couldn't wait to see if Collin or Elizabeth would be joining our family. We had a waiting room of people, all anxious to hear the news (if I remember correctly, there were seven people waiting for the news). We had family driving in. It was such an exciting time!

I remember when she was born, they placed her on my stomach, and Curtis and I looked at each other, somewhat shocked by the events that had just transpired. We were parents! We had a little girl with tons of dark hair. She was beautiful, she was healthy, and she was ours.
Elizabeth, 6th birthday
Elizabeth's 5th birthday
Elizabeth's 4th birthday
Elizabeth, shortly after her 3rd birthday
Elizabeth's 2nd birthday
Elizabeth's first birthday
Our sweet baby girl, the night she was born

Happy 6th birthday, my sweet Elizabeth! What a blessing you are in my life. I am so thankful that God chose to bless our family with you! My prayer for you is that this coming year you will continue to grow in grace, love and beauty in the Lord. You, my little girl, have taught me so much about life, motherhood, and love. Because of you, I have grown as a person. I couldn't be more thankful for the little girl you are. I love you!

4 comments:

momma said...

Happy, happy birthday, Elizabeth!! You are such a wonderful granddaughter and I love you so very much!! xoxox!

love, grandma

Amy said...

If I remember correctly, I was sitting in Applebee's in Stillwater, OK eating with my parents when I got the call ("It's a girl!")...My parents were excited for you (they remembered you guys from when you helped me move, or something like that...I think that's right - it seems like a million years ago!). Happy, happy day, Miss Elizabeth. What a beautiful girl (with some pretty cool parents)!

Megan said...

Happy birthday, Elizabeth! You've grown so much and are such a sweet girl. We love you!
Aunt Megan, Uncle Matt and Jeremiah

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I'm proud to say, I WAS THERE! Yes, Amy, I remember you were with your parents and were disappointed Elizabeth chose to come the ONE day you were gone! :)

What a great day that was! I will NEVER forget Curtis coming into the waiting room and saying, "We have a Carol!" It was precious...brings tears to my eyes just typing it!

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth Carol! You are so loved and such a special girl!