Friday, October 10, 2008

Mud Tales

My older two children have a history with mud. So I don't know why I would be surprised to find them playing in the mud yesterday morning. Thankfully, the mud fun had just begun, and it really was bad. But I was still mad, since all this happened while I was on the phone with another cranio mom, and we were going to have to leave in 30 minutes to go pick up the babysitter so that I could go tutor.

Thankfully, I didn't flip out. I did, in a very calm way express to my children that I was MAD. I think the fact that I wasn't freaking out freaked them out a bit. Elizabeth was very sweet, and apologized without prompting.

E: "But Mommy, one time when I was two, or three, you let me play in the mud and didn't get mad. Why are you mad now?"
Me: "Because we have somewhere we have to be. We have plans, and this makes things harder."
E: "I'm really sorry Mommy!"

Out the door we head. When I get home from tutoring, several hours later, I was talking to Elizabeth about out plans for the next day (today). She had wanted to go to the park with the babysitter, but couldn't because her brothers had been asleep.

Me: "Maybe we can go to the park tomorrow. Daddy's taking the van in, so we won't have a car during the day, so we'll just have lots of fun time tomorrow."
E: "We don't have any plans tomorrow?"
Me: "Right!"
E: "We don't have anywhere to be?"
Me: "Right!"
E: "Well, if we don't have anywhere to be, maybe we could play... in... the... MUD!!!!"

Oh the logic of a four year old!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Brilliant! She's got it figured out. Come on Mommy - MUD Day!

Anonymous said...

well...she did ask this time...so bring on the mud! you could always have her write her name in the mud and count it as school!

Unknown said...

nmtiej
Now that makes sense!