Friday, October 10, 2008

How to reason with a 2 year old boy

If you don't watch Disney on a regular basis, you might not know that the movie Sleeping Beauty has been re-released for a short time. Because of this re-release, there are MANY commercials for Sleeping Beauty.

Elizabeth knew who Princess Aurora was, but had never seen the movie. Yesterday, after taking the babysitter home, we stopped by the movie store to pick up a movie. I told Elizabeth and Micah that we were only getting one movie, and it had to be a movie that they both wanted to see.

While they are busy looking at the selection of kid movies, Benjamin is busy roaring at the big card board cut outs of the Incredible Hulk, the Joker, and Batman.

After looking around for several minutes, I try to encourage the decision making process, since Benjamin is now trying to knock over Batman, while roaring. Elizabeth suddenly gasps. I turn around, and she's holding Sleeping Beauty. "Let's get this one!" I reminded her that her brother had to want to get it too.

E: "Micah, do you want to get this princess movie?"
M: "No! I not yike princesses!"
E: Looks very sadly at me.
Me: "Micah, there's a dragon that can breathe fire!"
M: "Yet's get that dragon fire movie!!!"

Last night we watched the princess/dragon/fire movie. And everyone loved it!

6 comments:

Christi said...

Poor kid had to suffer through a princess movie for 5 minutes of a dragon!?! I hope you weren't constantly bombarded with "Mommy, where's the dragon?"

Sherry said...

Love it! Big siblings have such an art coercion!

Stephanie Talbert said...

wow that is impressive pretty smart for a girl her age.

Beth said...

Maybe that's why I often hear myself saying, "hannah, tell Nathan to do..."

Unknown said...

I'm not sure, but this seems to be a very early demonstration of a potentially troublesome patern in sister/brother...girl/boy???...relationships. Micah needs to eat some raw meat, get into a fight, and spend more mano y mano time with Grand Daddy!

Hannah D A said...

I misread it at first and thought Elizabeth told him about the fire breathing dragon. "What great bargaining skills she has!" I thought, but then as I re-read I saw that you were the one who said that to him. Good stuff.