Monday, March 31, 2008

Feeling Normal

I just read an article, sent to me by my Aunt Deidre (who doesn't haven't a blog that I can link to...hint, hint). Basically, these researchers put a mom and her 30 month old child in a room, made the kids stressed and watched. The researcher did it again, six month later, and this time had the moms film during the time right before dinner, another high stress situation.

The article showed that on average, moms argue 20-25 times an hour with their child. There were highs of 55 times an hour and lows of four times an hours. And of course, keep in mind that these children were intentionally put into high stress situations.

First question, what kind of CRAZY mom would put herself in a situation where her kid was going to be stressed out, causing him/her to be fussy? Me thinks there would have to be some big time compensation!

The article and research made me think two things. Firstly, I really don't think I argue with my toddler that much. So it made me feel pretty good, or at least normal. :-) My second thought was that I have had TWO toddlers, so no wonder I sometimes feel like all I do is tell my kids, "no, no, no, no."

Another thought that has been rolling around in my head is the way our society looks at children. I saw a movie where children were equated to a mosquito.... sucking the life and energy out of parents. I'll be honest, I heard that comment and laughed! That is sometimes exactly how I feel at the end of the day. And I think that is how society looks at children, as a nuisance, a problem, something that takes away from the kind of person you could be.

But look at scripture. (can I hear an AMEN from my young mom's Bible study?)
"Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him."
Psalm 127: 3

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago. The topic of children came up, and I mentioned that I had three, and gave their ages. At the end of the appointment, she asked if I was on any kind of medicine. I told her no. She paused, and asked, "Not even birth control?!" I didn't feel like getting a conversation at that moment, and just told her, "Nope." Her response was, "Oh, I bet you're just going to send your husband to the bet to get fixed." "We're planning on having another baby." I told her (even though it was non of her business). "Oh. Good for you." the doctor told me, in a tone that showed me that she really didn't think that was a good thing.

I wish people looked at children the way I look at my children (or try to), as a heritage and a reward. How much would change if we all kept that face in the forefront of our mind?

5 comments:

Rebecca & Nathaniel said...

I love that verse! Children are a HUGE gift from God!

Sherry said...

Interesting! But I am in so much agreement - my children are a wonderful gift from God, no doubt about it.

Unknown said...

Wow...your comments really strike home, especially to this parent of adult children. All the world's influences continue to impact your relationship with your children, and as you rightly declare, the only solution remains to encourage myself with scripture and seek to bathe the moment in grace...age doesn't matter...yours or theirs.

Thank you for taking time to share your family with me and Mom. We love the privilege and count it a true blessing.

I love you and Curtis and your kiddos.
Da

ninepoundhammer said...

I'm with you, Mrs Krajca! I think children are the only blessing in Scripture that we seem not to want.

Anonymous said...

I read that article and thought about you - hence why I sent it to you. But I asked the same question about why on earth any mom would purposely put their child in that situation. However, on a day to day basis I still argue with my daughter daily - sometimes hourly. Of course she's a teenager which is frighteningly like a toddler.

I totally agree with the children wear us out - and truly believe that the reason they look so peaceful and loving while they're sleeping is so we can remember what precious gifts they are as we check on them late at night. This way we are continually encouraged to fight the fights that have to be fought and handle the next day.

Anyway - you truly are doing an amazing job with your kiddos...

As to the not so subtle hint about linking to a blog - well - let's just deal with that another day!

Love ya kiddo -
Deirdre