Thursday, May 06, 2010

No more wonky lip

Yesterday, Timothy had his cleft repair surgery. It went better than expect! Much, much, much better than we expected.

Just a few days before surgery, I was able to put into words how I was feeling about the surgery. In the past few year, our family has faced it's fair share of surgeries. This surgery was more major than some, but not as major as Benjamin's craniotomy. But this time, I felt like I was having more second thoughts than with any of the other surgeries we've gone through. I thought a lot of that was due to the fact that Timothy's surgery wasn't medically necessary. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that my real uncertainty was because I wasn't sure what he would look like when he was done.

Imagine one day you decide to change your child's eye color, or hair color. That's what I felt like I was doing with Timothy. I was changing something about who my child was. And that's an odd thought process for a mother of a three month old to go through.

So I reminded myself of all the reasons why Curtis and I had made this decision, and why we had started out on this journey. Then God graciously allowed our decision to be affirmed by a very smooth surgery and so far, an amazing recovery. We are thankful for all the prayers that have surrounded Timothy's surgery and recovery. Hopefully, I'll post a few more pictures in the coming days. I'm enjoying seeing Timothy's new smile and want to share it with you all!

3 comments:

Carissa said...

I'm so thankful that he is doing well. Can't wait to see him again. What does July look like for you guys? :-)

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Sorry, I had a typo and it was buggin me. lol

Yay, so glad he is doing so well. Can't wait to see his new sweet smile.