Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Baptism

This past Sunday, we had the joy of baptizing Timothy. I hope to blog about that once I finish getting all my pictures together.

I love baptisms! But something dawned on me this week.

I've blogged about Micah's baptism.

I've also blogged about Benjamin's baptism.

And I hope to soon blog about Timothy's baptism.

But I realized that I've never blogged about Elizabeth's baptism!

When Curtis and I joined our church, we were expecting Elizabeth. We were very honest with our Pastor, and told him that we didn't know where we stood on the subject of infant baptism. While we were reformed in our thinking, we had both been baptized when we made a profession of faith. Our pastor reassured us that it was okay, and encouraged us to do some reading. I remember driving to Kansas, to see my parents, and reading and praying about our decision. Somewhere on I35, Curtis and I decided that we would baptize our children.

The gown Elizabeth is wearing is the gown that all our children have been baptized in. My hope is that I will be able to see my grandchildren baptized in the same gown.

The weekend of Elizabeth's baptism was also the weekend our church celebrated it's 25th anniversary. What an amazing time to celebrate God's covenantal blessing upon his people!

It was a very early morning! We chose to have the baptism at the early service so that our family who had come into town would be able to get back on the road. Despite the early hour, it was a very special time!


When I look at the picture above, I again thank God for his faithfulness. We went from 7 people to a booming family of 12! Megan married Matt, and they had Jeremiah. And Curtis and I added our three boys. Once a family of girls, now a family of mostly boys.

The idea of godparents is something that I was familiar with. There are lots of different thoughts on what a godparent is. For us, a godparent is someone who loves and encourages a child to grow in the Lord. Our children's godparents are Michael and Christi Findley. They have blessed us by being a part of our lives, and we know they will love and encourage and train them to the Lord.

2 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I would love to get know what your pastor encouraged you to read when you were thinking about baptism. As you know, I grew up Presbyterian and was baptized as an infant, but now that I have married into the Baptist church and am a member of our local church, I'm not sure what I want to do. I have arguments for both. I have a while to think about that (no, I"m not pregnant), but I would like to be able to think, pray and discuss with Richard and be ready when the time comes.

Megan said...

All four of the baptisims were so special! Glad I've been able to be there for all four of them!