Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A scary situation

Right off the bat, please let me say that I'm not writing this post to knock public schools or families who send their children to public schools. I know that it might sound that way, but that's really not my intention. If you disagree with my over all statement and point, be nice!

Today marks the last day of co-op! As I thought back to our first day of co-op, and on our first year of homeschooling, I am amazed and thankful for where God has brought me as a mother and as a teacher. I have grown so much.... but I'll save this conversation for another post.

After co-op, the kids and I went to the park to enjoy a beautiful day and lunch with friends from co-op. As I pulled up, I realized that there were several buses and that the park was filled with children from a local public school on a field trip. Our little group of homeschoolers found a little spot to enjoy our lunch, the kids started playing, and shortly after, the teachers rounded up the school kids, loaded them on the buses and headed back to school. Our kids spread out onto the playground equipment, and Curtis headed back to work. As he was leaving I noticed that he had stopped to talk to a little girl I didn't recognize. I asked the other moms she was "one of ours", and we quickly realized she wasn't. She was with the group of public school kiddos and had been accidentally left.

In no time flat, three moms had out their phones, calling the non emergency police, and the school. We assured to police officer that the little girl was safe, and that we would stay with her till someone came to pick her up. We were told to call the school, asking for someone specific.

While all this was happening, we tried to love on and encourage the little girl. She was obviously scared. Elizabeth came over and invited her to play. Despite our best efforts, the little girl was still very uneasy.

Eventually, someone from the school arrived, picked the little girl up, and took her back to the school. My heart broke again for the little girl, who didn't know the woman that had been sent. It just added stress to what was already a scary situation fir that little girl.

And the thing that angered me was that no one at the school had even noticed the little girl was gone until the police called!!

Seeing that little girl's face, and thinking about how scared she was, made me so thankful that my children are not in that situation. I was thankful that I didn't have to release control and care of my child to someone else every day.

I know that there are ways to be very involved with your child, even if they are in a public school. I also know that there are parents who simply cannot be as involved with their public school kids. I was just so thankful I wasn't one of those parents.

There were literally hundreds of children at the park, all very young. The teachers seemed to be doing a fantastic job of engaging the children, playing with the children, and facilitating a fun time for those children. And I'm sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen that much. I'm not trying to put down public schools or the teachers that teach there by sharing this story. Nor am I trying to say that parents who chose to send their children to public school are making a foolish choice.

However, today I was reminded why I am so very thankful that it wasn't my kindergartner who was left. I was reminded what a blessing it is to be able to have the freedom to homeschool. I'm thankful that I didn't have to pass over control over my child's well being to another person. And after a rough first year of homeschooling, I needed that reminder.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

This is exactly why I accompany my children on all field trips unless I absolutely can not go. I will be with Carlie tomorrow in Brenham! Will's teacher's little kindergarten child was on that trip today!!! But her Daddy was with her.

Unknown said...

And just like any situation when I am not around, that is why I will be trusting that God is watching over my/HIS child while I cannot. Otherwise I'd go crazy worrying about Alexis' well being and safety.

rachel said...

unfortunately, bad things happen to our kids even when they are with us. Mistakes, some of which are pretty terrible, happen because we live in a fallen world. when they do happen there tends to be lots of circumstances, what-if, and whys and other things that bystanders don't get to see. I am feeling pretty crummy for the teacher or whoever made that mistake. I am sure she(or he) was raked over the coals and is going ot being feeling this one for a very long time. I hope the mom was gracious to her and doesn't sue or demand her job.
My parents left my brother once at church becuase they were meeting someone for lunch and thought he was riding with their friend and the friends thought he was riding my parents. I can see how easy that would be to do! He was probably around 7. Then in high school we had an exchange student and my parents left her at a gas station in GA and realized it 20 min down the road. I was asleep and they thought she was hunkered down asleep too. this was, of course, before seat belts and all that. fortunately neither incident came to a bad end.

Kierstyn said...

The mom of the little girl called Curtis tonight to thank him for finding the little girl. She was so thankful! And the little girl is doing very well. And Rachel, the mom seemed to be very gracious about the situation.

Pilgrim Days said...

good to hear!

Kathleen said...

WOW! I read about that in the paper but had no idea it was Curtis! The Lord was watching out for that precious girl -- so glad you all were there. That did freak me out a bit and is why we try to go on as many field trips as possible.

Deirdre said...

Catching up on posts. Kierstyn - you are very blessed to be able to stay home and school the kids. Keep in mind it isn't just public schools though. Alex got left at the zoo when he was at private school. Of course - it was the zoo - so he was having fun and didn't seem to care! :-)