Thursday, April 08, 2010

Timothy's wonky lip Part 2

This morning, we had an appointment with the plastic surgeon. We are very thankful that Timothy is growing, and gaining weight. Because he's doing such a good job at that, we were able to schedule his cleft repair surgery for May 5th. The surgery will be about 2 hours long, and we've been told to plan on staying the night so that the doctor's can be sure Timothy is eating well and not getting dehydrated. Even though his cleft is incomplete, and not as major as some, the surgery to repair it is just as extensive. The doctor will complete the cleft, the repair it.

While as a mommy I'm no stranger to having my children go through surgery, both major and minor, I'm finding that I am very saddened by this upcoming surgery. Perhaps it's because I've never had a child this young face surgery. Maybe it's because it's "just cosmetic" and doesn't NEED to be done to keep Timothy healthy.

But I think the main reason I'm saddened is because, for me, this is a very obvious and tangible reminder of the world we live in. We live in a fallen, sin marred world. A world where babies are born sick and with deformities. Though I have the ultimate hope of glorification in heaven, I still find myself saddened by the effects of sin.

Every day, I deal with my sin. As a mother, I also have the responsibility of helping my children as they deal with their sin. Though I know Timothy is a sinner, and corrupt in his whole being, I have yet to see those sinful tendencies. But here he is, with a birth defect that shows he is a sinner, born into a sinful, imperfect world. It just makes me sad.

Please keep us in your prayers as we deal with this. I'm thankful that I'm not scared of this surgery. I trust the doctors, the hospital and the staff that will be tending Timothy. Ultimately, I trust that God will use this entire situation for his glory and our good.

3 comments:

Carissa said...

While the world may see Timothy's lip as an 'imperfection', he is perfect in the eyes of our Savior. While they may be 'fixing' his lip, he is wonderfully beautiful now and I love him! Praying that all will go as planned. Love you all!

Kevin Burns said...

Very well said, Carissa!! My prayers will be there for you guys, as well!!

Hannah D A said...

praying for your sweet Timothy. I love you guys. You are so good at walking through trials in faith. Know that God uses you to minister and speak to others who are going through tough situations with their own kiddos.