Friday, October 09, 2009

Adjusting

It's a boy! The Krajca family will now be a family dominated by boys.

Curtis and I had talked about how adding another boy would totally change the dynamics of our family. We would be the family doing soccer/baseball/basketball on Saturday mornings. I would have to learn about swords, trucks, bugs, and pirate talk. Funny how one little baby totally changes the possible family dynamics!

Everyone, except for Mommy, thought we were having a girl. Most of the people I talked to thought I was having a girl. We were shocked when the ultrasound tech said, "Well, look what I see between those little legs! You're having a boy!" Even though I was expecting to hear that we were having a son, I was still surprised. I looked over and Curtis, and he was shocked. Flat out shocked. He really thought we were having a daughter.

Obviously, we are thankful and excited to welcome Timothy Joel into our family. But there's been some adjusting in our family. When we told the kids our news, the looks on their faces were priceless. Poor Elizabeth was pretty disappointed. She told us that she was happy, just not excited. She then went on to ask, "Why did God think we needed another boy?!?" I was thankful that she realized that it was God who is giving her a new brother, and not just some random bad luck that she doesn't get a sister. The situation provided a great opportunity for Curtis and I to talk to her about how we want God's will, because God's will is what's best for us, even when we don't like it.

Micah's adjustment was very smooth. At first he kept saying, "But I like girls!" After some thinking, he decided that, "Girl are boring. I like boys!" This morning, he realized that he's the biggest brother of the three, and that made him quite happy.

Benjamin still thinks there's a girl in mommy's tummy. I expected his transition to be smooth since he's so young still. We just remind him that Timothy's in mommy's tummy, and all is well.

I was surprised that I didn't have to adjust to the idea of having another son. Maybe it's because I thought we were having a boy all along. But deep down, I was kinda hoping for a little girl. I loved the idea of doing the pink girly thing again. I cherish my relationships with my sisters, and longed for Elizabeth to have the same. Even though girls have their challenges, I get Elizabeth. There are many times a day when I just look at the boys and have NO idea what they are thinking or why they are doing the things they are doing.

When I found out that a son would be joining our family, I was downright giddy! I could hardly contain myself, and Curtis had to remind me that people were looking at me while we were at HEB. I've always heard there's a special bond between a mother and her son. And I do have a special relationship with each of my boys. The thought of having another sweet bundle of blue bring such joy to my heart.

And I will speak for Curtis and say: though he went through more mental adjustment that I did, he too is very excited. He was a little more concerned with the kids' adjustment, but once he saw that they were happy, he allowed himself to get excited as well. He had in his head, a mental picture of holding and talking to a baby girl. So he had to mental switch the way he thought about our baby and the first few moments that he would have with our son.

More than anything, we are thankful that God's will has allowed us to be blessed with another child. We feel truly blessed to be a house full of boys (with one wonderful daughter thrown in the mix) and look forward to the many adventures that are sure to come away as we are sanctified by sons (and 1 daughter!).

7 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

The Butchers are rejoicing with you and thanking God for Timothy Joel!

Cambrey said...

Timothy is blessed to join a family of such love. Prayers for a continued healthy pregnancy. Congrats!

Brian, Steph, Jada, Kiva, and Judson said...

How fun! I can't wait to meet Timothy Joel...Elizabeth just gets to be the princess even longer :) Congrats!

Hannah D A said...

Yea for Timothy Joel! Congratulations Krajcas! With 4 boys and I girl, I understand your joy, Kierstyn.

terri said...

This may come as a news flash, but the family was dominated by boys before. They've just added another key member to the boys team. We are so excited that Queen Kierstyn and Princess Elizabeth will be surrounded by such noble Knights and a gracious King. Congrats!

Kelly said...

Congrats! We are a very heavy boy dominated house too. Lol. It took some getting use to the fact that we weren't going to have any daughters, but I love it. Very fun dynamic in our house.

Alicia said...

Okay, so obviously I'm hormonal, but this post made me cry. I feel like I say that a lot on your blog. =) I just think sweet Elizabeth's perspective is just so precious...tearing up again just thinking about her. Her attitude points directly toward her wonderful parents, no doubt.

Congratulations again on your sweet addition, and I, too, am praying for a healthy and happy last half of your pregnancy.