Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bad dreams

This morning, I was going over our evening plans with Curtis on the phone. Elizabeth was here, we were talking, and suddenly she starts crying, and talking about scary giraffes. Curtis told me that she had a nightmare about giraffes, and since the crying had reached sobbing, I got off the phone to talk with her. Here's what she told me (amid the tears).

"I had a dream that I got thrown in the giraffes den, and the giraffes were doing silly tricks, and it really scared me."

Poor thing! She was really upset by the whole thing. She also told me that she had that dream all night, which would explain her presence in my bed! After talking about possible solutions.... hers was to stay up with Mommy and Daddy, then always sleep with us.... mine was pray..... she called Aunt Shannon and things seemed to get a little better.

The whole conversation was almost laughable. But her genuine sadness and fear kept me from laughing. It reminded me, even though she can be quite the pill, she is still just a little girl. It also reminded me of how much calm and comfort I as a mother can provide. Hopefully Curtis and I can use this situation to point her to the One who can provide the ultimate comfort, and use these kinds of moments to show her how much she is loved.

3 comments:

Shannie said...

well...if Elizabeth needs to call again that's fine, just not between the hours of 1am and 9am, please. and just fyi, i'm much more coherent if we make those hours 12am-10am.

ninepoundhammer said...

Well, so much for the gift certificate to Giraffe World I was going to get her for Christ-mas!

Christi said...

At least it wasn't the lions den! Sorry she was so scared, I can imagine it was pretty serious if you were able to keep from laughing. Sweet dreams to all in the Krajca house!