Thursday, October 18, 2007

A sweet Lady

On Tuesday evening, a very sweet lady in our church died in a car accident. Several people from church have blogged their memories of Pat, and I wanted to take the time to do the same.

When Benjamin was sick, and in the hospital, it was a very tough time for me. I wasn't getting a ton of company (for Benjamin's protection we tried to limit visitors, especially ones with small children), I was in the hospital with a sick baby, and I wasn't with my other babies.

One evening, three women from church came up to see us. Pat was one of them. She introduced herself saying, "I know you don't really know me that well, but I wanted to come and let you know that I'm praying for your baby." She truly touched me with how genuinely she wanted to help, even though she really didn't know me. She then proceeded to ask if I needed anything. I told her I was fine. She shook her head at me and said, "I heard you ask the nurse for another pillow. Did you get it?" Well, no I sheepishly replied. Off Pat went, in quest for a pillow. She came back, made the pillow, fluffed the pillow, and made sure it positioned just right.

She then moved to the tray of food, making sure I had eaten something. Apparently, she approved, and moved on to the jog of water, which was empty. "Nursing mommies need to drink lots of water! I'll be back." Wow! Talk about a true servant's heart! She also offered to come help me once I was home, and even offered to help me pack to go to my sister's wedding since "I'm good at that kind of stuff, and I have some free time on my hands." She had so much "free time" because her mother, who she had been taking care of for several years, had passed away on the same day Benjamin was born.

About a month or so after Benjamin was given a clean bill of health, I was able to visit with Pat again at a women's fellowship. Bless her heart, she hadn't heard that Benjamin was fine, and doing well, and was still worrying and praying for him!

Another testimony to her servant's heart. I'm one of the nursery coordinators for our church. Sometimes, I have a hard time finding people who can serve in the nursery. When making the schedule for September, Pat's name jumped into my head. Without really checking, I put her on the schedule. And there she was, ready to love the toddlers! No complaining, just a willing servant's heart.

Please pray for Pat's family. The funeral is on Saturday. Please also pray for our church. As has been pointed out by several, we have had a rather high number of funerals in the past six months. We know God is sovereign, and we just in his faithful love for us.

No comments: