Monday, February 28, 2011

Love and dedication

I have been very blessed to be surrounded by many committed, loving, dedicated marriages.

My parents have been married for almost 34 years.

Curtis' parents celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary shortly before my mother-in-law passed away.

Both sets of my grandparents are still living, and are still happily married.

This past fall, my Papa fell. Since his fall, he's faced an uphill battle to recover. He's struggled with physical therapy, reoccurring infections and hospitalizations, and saddest of all, bouts of dementia. Through it all, my amazing Grandma has been by his side. She will spend the night at the rehab center with him, reads to him, talks with him and gives him hope.

After watching this video, I was reminded of how blessed Curtis and I are to be surrounded by so many amazing marriages. We also have a great cloud of witnesses in Curtis' mom, and his grandparents, watching as we strive to have a godly marriage.




The kind of love and dedication shown in this clip are rare. A marriage like that doesn't come easily. But it's always worth the fight. That's one thing that I've learned in the mere 10 years that Curtis and I have been married. A good marriage, a lasting marriage, a committed "till death do us part" marriage, doesn't just happen. It's a fight, a hard, sometimes uphill battle. But God rewards faithfulness. That's the promise and the hope that Curtis and I have.

No comments: