Monday, November 01, 2010

November Challenge

This month, Curtis and I have decided that we won't be eating out. At all. No Sonic happy hour, no Chick-Fil-A coffee, no quick runs through McDonalds for breakfast. Part of the reason I came up with this is for "fun", just to see if we could. And then when we had to unexpectedly put lots of money into the van, it just seemed like a wise idea.

This afternoon, when Elizabeth was begging to go to a restaurant, I explained our Challenge. When I then said Ineeded to go to the store, Elizabeth reminded me that it still cost money to buy food, so maybe we should just eat out. She's a determined one!

I've been researching inexpensive, family friendly meals. Here's what I have so far on our menu for the month.
Chicken Chili
Beef tacos
chicken tacos
Lasagna
chicken stir fry
enchiladas
potato soup
tortellini
tortilla soup
hamburgers
hotdogs
brinner
sloppy joes
meatloaf
chicken and sausage casserole
spaghetti
poppy seed chicken
pizza
baked chicken

Do you have any meals to add? Something cheap that your family loves? A quick and easy meal I can throw in the crock pot in between math problems with Elizabeth? Please share!!

And wish us luck! The first challenge comes tomorrow morning. Normally, I reward myself with a coffee and biscuit from Chick-Fil-A if I make it out the door for co-op in time. Micah sweetly assured me that maybe I could just make coffee at home. Sweet boy!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks to you we really like tater tot casserole. We also like chicken spaghetti too.

Brian Franklin said...

The classic cheap meal is beans and rice. Cheap, as in a bag of rice and a bag of beans that will cost about $3, that could feed 20+people. I have a crockpot recipe that I could send later, if you want it. You can go vegetarian for REALLY cheap, or you can throw in some sausage for the hopeless meat-eaters!

Sherry said...

Yum, great list and great challenge! Jason and I strive to only eat out once a week and we try to make it on the weekend so it doesn't feel like we are being "rushed" into the decision. Good luck and I would love to have the tator tot casserole!