Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday morning thoughts

This morning, I have the privilege of being home from church with my sweet baby and my sweet two year old, who has a double ear infection. Though it wasn't what I had planned, that's where I am.

While snuggled up on the couch with Benjamin, watching TV, I saw a commercial for a new show. A clip from the show had an older daughter asking a very tired and frazzled looking mom, "Why did you have another kid? Wasn't three enough?"

This morning, after a busy weekend celebrating Micah's birthday, playing hostess to my in-laws, while pouring myself another cup of coffee to combat the sleepiness left over from a rough night, and while getting goo out of my son's ear, I found myself asking the same question of myself. "Wasn't three enough?"

The transition to four has, overall, been fairly smooth. I know a big part of that is because of how much older my kids are than the last time we added a new member to our family. A lot of the ease is because of the fairly easy baby that Timothy is.

Despite the overall smoothness of the transition, I've become very aware of how much one tiny person can change the dynamics of a family. I'm still adjusting to having a baby in the family again. I'm still learning what being a mommy of four young children is like. So on days like today, as I'm pouring my second cup of coffee and looking around at my house that I just can't keep clean, I think of what the very tired frazzled looking mom wittingly told her daughter, "Three kids is for quitters!"

2 comments:

Megan said...

When you tell me about all the stuff you have going on and get done I think to myself, "I have just one child and can't do all that!" You're an awesome momma. A lot of time there are more important things than a clean house, especially with four kids!

Sherry said...

You rock!! Prayers through those frazzle days, those are the days that I throw up my hands, say "wee!!" and enjoy the roller coaster!