Friday, December 18, 2009

Jesse Tree

I had several people comment, ask or e-mail me for more details about the Jesse Tree. Now, I'm not the expert, but here's what I've learned in my first year.


Along with the Jesse Tree, and the ornaments, my Mom also got us this book.

I enjoy this book because it's geared for adults AND children. Each Day, it lists the symbol (which is the ornament) for the day, the memory verse, and possible songs. There are Scripture references to tell the story of each ornament, along with two summarized versions of the story (one for adults, one for children).

My goal was to use the Jesse Tree as our Advent worship time. However, with Curtis missing a lot of that time at home, it's just become an activity that we do in the mornings in addition to our regular family worship time. I chose to wrap each ornament to add to the fun and excitement. Since I started a little late, the first day we opened three ornaments rather than just one. I found that this was probably going to be the best idea for this year. As a result, we do our Jesse Tree time every three days or so.

For more info on the Jesse Tree, it's history, and all the different symbols and stories, see the link in the Christmas post below.

We've enjoyed doing the Jesse Tree and look forward to it becoming a regular part of our Advent celebration!

No comments: