Sunday, February 08, 2009

Our trip to Austin

If you still happen to check in on Benjamin's blog (which you totally should, I have deep thoughts every other month), you will know that last Wednesday we were in Austin for an appointment with his neuro surgeon. We decided to make a fun day of it, and called up some friends to "play" with us while we were in the area.


This is a picture of our first play date of the day. We met up with Pastor Larry and Ms. Carla at Red Robin. They were very brave, and joined us for lunch... in public... with three kids.... who had been in the car or a doctor's office all day long. Aren't they awesome??

I would like to report that it was an uneventful lunch, where we ate, visited, and the kids behaved beautifully. But, that would be a lie. To sum it up, the kids acted just like I anticipated and then some. Micah was sitting at someone else's booth (it was empty) and drank out of a used cup. So gross! Benjamin, attempting to one up his brother, climbed under the table and tried to eat the gum from the bottom of the table. Boys.
But despite my children being... well, children.... we had a great lunch! Pastor Larry was the pastor at the church where Curtis and I met. They are good friends of my parents, and Pastor Larry married Curtis and I waaaayyy back when. When I explained that fact to Elizabeth she told me, "Mommy, you're silly!! Only one boy and one girl can get married! Not three people and not two boys." She does have a point.
After our first play date, we drove around Austin, letting the boys sleep.
Then we headed to Zliker Park, to meet up with our second play date, the Brunones. The park was so much fun, and the kids really enjoyed being able to run and play and not get yelled at because of the yelling and playing.


We had a wonderful time catching up with the Brunones, who moved away a few months ago. We watched the kids play, road the train around the park, taught the kids about homeless people, then enjoyed a picnic. It was a great time! But it did make me realize how very much I miss the Brunones!

Benjamin really loved playing on the old fire truck with Isaac. I think he misses his buddy. But not as much as I miss my buddy!!
We were blessed with a very good report from the neuro surgeon, and it was another huge blessing to be able to spend the day with so many wonderful friends! We so appreciate them taking time out of their schedules to meet up and play with us!

3 comments:

Jamison said...

WE MISS YOU TOO!!! It was a perfect day, and I am so impressed with how you guys could haul three tiny children around and still be your happy, cheerful selves by 7pm that night. Amazing!

Thanks for reminding me to blog about something cheerful--I'm going to download (upload? whatever) our pics. Love you!!

Deirdre said...

Sounds like a great time - but I'm sure the teaching about homeless people has a story to be told!

Megan said...

You got to see the Brownfields??? How fun!