Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homeschooling

This year, in the fall, Elizabeth starts kindergarten! I can't even believe that my baby girl will be turning five and starting school this year. Along with this realization has come some big decisions for Curtis and I on behalf of our family. And though we know no decision we make has to be permanent, we want to be prayerful and wise in decisions about our children's eduction.

As you may remember, we are planning on homeschooling. It's been amusing to me to hear people's responses to this news. Most have been positive, which is very encouraging. But what's really surprised me is what people THINK our motivation to homeschool is. I've compiled a list of reasons to homeschool that have NOT influenced us.

Reason to homeschool that are NOT our reasons to homeschool.
1. We don't like the public schools. There are great public schools in the area. I would feel comfortable sending Elizabeth to the elementary school that she would be going to.
2. I can't bear the thought of having Elizabeth away from me. Often times, I find myself thinking, "I could be sending her to school next year! I could have one less child and that much more freedom.
3. I can do a better job of teaching the children. I am scared to death of being responsible for my child's education! I could blow it big time. I am fully aware of the fact that there are teacher who are probably a lot more qualified to be teaching certain subjects than I am. Thankfully, we never stop learning, and I can learn right beside my children!
4. It's logical, since I was homeschooled. The fact that I was homeschooled has nothing to do with our decision. The fact that Curtis went to a public school has nothing to do with our decision. I don't think that if we homeschool, our children will turn out okay. Just like I don't' think that public schools would ruin our children.
5. We feel the need to protect and shelter them. To a certain degree, we do feel the need to protect and shelter our children. We don't desire to completely shelter them from all the wrong and bad things in the world. Our desire is to expose them to things when we think they're ready, in a manner that we see appropriate.

The main reason we are going to homeschool is because that is what God is calling us to do. Our decision is based in obedience. I firmly believe that homeschooling is not for everyone, just like not everyone is called to be a stay at home parent. But I am called to be a stay at home mom. And I'm also called to homeschool. Despite the fact that it would be simpler, cheaper, and might even help my sanity to send the kids to a public school, that wouldn't be obedience for me.

Another reason we are homeschooling is because we want our children to have a Christian world view. We want them to see Christ in every area of the lives, especially in the way and what they learn. Our goal is to be the main impact on our children, rather than teachers and peers spending more time with them. And for us, that translates to homeschooling.

We know that we will have to continually re-evaluate our decision. Every year, for every child, we will seek God's will. So our decision to homeschool is for now, for Elizabeth, and till God tells us something else.

Disclaimer: I know homeschooling isn't for everyone. I don't think parents who don't homeschool are choosing to put their children in a bad, ungodly situation and are therefore bad parents. Curtis wasn't homeschooled, and he turned out fine (though we can't really use that logic since I was homeschooled and turned out fine as well). I know many awesome families with wonderful kids in the public schools.

Another disclaimer: We don't think homeschooling will solve all the problems that we have with our children. We know that homeschooling won't get our children (or us) into heaven. We don't think that homeschooling is an insurance policy that buys us children who will grow into good adults.

My goal with this post wasn't to elevate homeschooling to some high level and tell how bad public schools are. My desire was to share what God has laid on my heart for our family.

6 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

It may be totally inappropriate to say, but I just have to admit I chuckled a bit at the "we know homeschooling won't get us into heaven" disclaimer. Who thinks that?

I LOVE the idea of homeschooling and haven't ruled it out for myself.

Shannie said...

There are too many words in this blog... You should just post cute and/or funny pictures of my niece and nephews!

Unknown said...

"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."
James 4:17 NASB

Whether revealed through Scripture or through prayerful conviction, if you know what God would have you do, you want to do that.

So it's what you said, a matter of obedience, not just schooling options.

But you remember this lesson, right?
Daddy

Anonymous said...

i will continue to pray that God will lead you in obedience, regardless of the path. i can't wait to see what the next year will bring!

Kierstyn said...

Charla, yeah, the whole heaven disclaimer was kinda random. I heard it once on a blog about parenting, the point being that no matter what we do as parents, how many times we get it right, nothing we do is going to get our kids into heaven. I have to remind myself of that often: In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal and it won't get my kids into heaven. :-) It’s easy for me to fall into the trap of thinking that if I do A, B and C, my kids will turn out great. But it still won’t get them into heaven!

Mom and Dad, thanks for your thoughts, your encouragement and your prayers! You guys are the best!

Anonymous said...

I too am struggling with the decision to homeschool my son. I worry about subjects such as math, that are not my strong points, as well as the socialization aspect.