Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tacky and tasteless

"Since Gaga is all about transformation and the shock of the new, we asked trendsetting fashion and theatrical designers, illustrators, and cartoonists to try to top said meat dress."

This is what the New York magazine asked. Here's what one cartoonist produced.

As a mom of a child born with a cleft, I am completely offended.

In my opinion, it was tacky and tasteless of the artist to use something like a cleft to "transform" Lady Gaga. The artist, Tim Henley said, "Lady Gaga obtains a cleft lip from a cosmetic surgeon to spread her message of universal tolerance. What if you could change the life of a diva?"

Was it the artist's perogative to make this cartoon? Sure. If you think a cleft lip and palate and the title of Lady Gaga's new album (Born This Way) fit together in an ironic twist, fine. What really upsets me is that the New York Magazine chose to put this up for everyone to see. Though not wrong, I think it was a poor judgment choice.

The "assignment", Hypothetical Gaga, was to top the bizarre meat dress, to be more shocking. The cartoonist did get it right. A cleft lip is shocking at first for parents. But when I looked at Timothy, I immediately fell in love. I didn't see the cleft, I saw my beautiful baby boy. And when Tim Henley used a cleft lip to make Lady Gaga appear more shocking and bizarre, it felt like a slap in the face to me as a mother. My baby and the deformity he had should not be put into the same category as a stupid meat dress.

The cartoonist, Tim Henley, completely missed the mark, and the New York Magazine should NOT have published his work. The assignment was called Hypothetical Gaga. A cleft lip is not hypothetical. It is something that thousands of parents and children deal with every day.

If you agree with me, please take the time to e-mail New York Magazine. Here's a copy of the letter I sent.

"To whom it may concern,

I write to you today to express my disappointment and outrage in the portrayal of Lady Gaga with a cleft lip and palate.

Using a birth defect that effects thousands of parents and children every day as a way to make Lady Gaga look more bizarre and freakish is insulting. A cleft lip in not a hypothetical situation. My child, (change this as appropriate) has dealt with the many issues involved with having a cleft. Are you insinuating that a child with a cleft is bizarre or freakish? Shame on you!

How will you correct this wrong?

Sincerely,"


E-mails can be sent to: contactus@nymag.com

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I enjoyed reading your post regarding the Lady Gaga photo. I actually was in the process of writing a letter to the New York magazine when I came upon your post. My grandson had a cleft palate which was repaired in March. I salute you for bringing this to the attention of the editors and to all whom read your blog.
God Bless, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Glad to see other have some class.

Kristi said...

I'm sickened by the cartoon - my youngest daughter was born with a cleft palate and I feel like they are mocking her. I've read several blogs (and facebook statuses) today who are outraged with this - I will encourage everyone to write a letter as you did.

Your children are gorgeous btw!!