Tuesday, July 07, 2009

On the road again.....



You know us. We just can't stay put for more than a month. And we haven't been on a car trip since June 6th, so it's time for us to load up the mini van and hit the road!

We leave Thursday evening to go to Kingwood, by way of Houston Hobby airpot to drop of Curtis' car. After spending the night with our dear friends there, we will head towards Atlanta! As of right now, our plan is to make the entire drive on Friday.

Yeah, I know it's a long drive.

According to Map Quest, it's 782 miles and 12 hours and 32 minutes from Kingwood to my sister's front door. I won't lie, I'm a little nervous. So I've done what any mom in my situation would do.

Google!!!!

I've spent a better part of the evening googling ideas on how to keep the kids busy, what new songs I can sing with them, and basically trying to turn a very long day into a fun family adventure.

Here's what I've got so far:
new movies that the kids haven't seen. Or at least haven't seen in awhile.
I Spy bottles, which is bottles of rice with little treasures hidden inside.
Ocean bottles
several new toys
a hymnal
a couple read aloud books
new coloring books, markers, pencils, and stickers.

Anyone else have any ideas? I will have Benadryl on hand if needed. Yep, I'm one of those moms.

See that? All those happy faces? That's going to be us Friday evening when we pull into GA! Well, except our youngest won't be wearing a jumper of any sorts. Check out the mom's face. That's a mommy who knows how to spoon out the Benadryl!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

You can do it! Food, of course, always distracts.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Hey, here's an idea. My mom, being the art teacher and creative gal she was, always had things for us to do on long car trips. Every summer we took a two-week vacation to a national park...yes, very long drives.

She bought two metal cake pans (the ones with the metal slide-on lids), and using a paint pen she decorated them with my brother and my name. We each had our own.

Then, she filled them with markers, crayons, coloring pages, puzzles, and let us fill them with things, too. We each had an Etch-A-Sketch as I recall and whatever else we might want to include.

She always tried to find something new to put in them for every trip. Other than the fact they were filled with hours of entertainment, they also made great lap desks so that while we were coloring or drawing or whatever, we had a hard surface to so.

She also picked up a book full of ideas for car games which was really fun! I remember lots of counting in the car...finding each letter of the alphabet, certain colors, certain words, certain license plates, etc...

Hope this helps! I know you're going to have a great time!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Since you've been googling, you've probably already run across this site, but just in case, here it is...looked promising!

http://www.momsminivan.com/

Unknown said...

Don't forget pads of sticky notes and colored pens/pencils for drawing and "displaying"

Jess said...

Hope you all have tons of fun!!!

~Jess