Tuesday, January 04, 2011

10th anniversary

It was a quiet anniversary for the two of us. We just enjoyed a few hours away from the kiddos, had a tasty lunch, ate some delicious donuts, and continued rereading Harry Potter 7. Though we had hoped to take a trip, or do something big to commemorate a decade of marriage, I think our celebration was perfect, and very fitting for where we are as a couple.
One of the things I have learned in the 10 years since we've been married is that it's not about the trips, the gifts, the dozens of roses, or the huge decelerations of love that make anniversaries special. It's the quiet time we get to spend together, reflecting on what we've learned as a couple, thanking God for his faithfulness to us, and enjoying quiet uninterrupted moments together.
I'll admit that as our anniversary approached, and I saw our celebration budget shrinking, and more and more craziness seemed to enter our life, I anticipated being disappointed. In a perfect world, I had hoped to be in New York, celebrating New Years Eve there, and enjoying some place new with Curtis. Our anniversary started with Curtis saying to me, "Benjamin pooped. Do you know where more toilet paper is?" How appropriate!! Curtis, after helping Benjamin, quickly redeemed the start of the day. He's hidden two cards for me to find as I began my day. He'd also written a blog for me to find. I love that he did things for me in my love language! And though our days wasn't filled with romance, roses, or a trip, I wouldn't have wanted to spend it any other way. We were together. We were happy and content. We were healthy. And we were with our family during a hard time. What more could I ask for?!

So our 10th anniversary has passed without anything big or fancy. And I am so happy! I feel like we were really living out our vows to each other during that time.

Happy anniversary, Curtis! I love you so much, and wouldn't have wanted to spend the day any other way.

No comments: