Monday, January 23, 2017

March for Women?

I currently have multiple tabs open on my computer, all articles on this weekend's March for Women. I've spent a fair amount of time this weekend thinking through my opinions on the matter. Curtis and I actually started dialogue about a similar topic on Thursday as we drove to Houston.
And after days of thinking, researching, reading and praying, I'm still at a loss. How, at this point in time, am I supposed to teach my daughter to be feminine yet strong? How should I encourage her that biblical marriage is a good and right thing when society is screaming at her to be equal and not submissive to her husband? How do I teach her that a gentle and quiet spirit is of great worth when she's being told to make her voice heard? How to I help her grow into a woman who thinks for herself yet is gracious and listens to others around her even when others have differing opinions? More than anything, my heart is burdened for the loss of the sanctity of life. After all my reading, I feel like that's the main issue dividing women in our nation. Once again, it comes down to the abortion issue. So while there are a lot of things that I'm unsure about, here's what I plan to teach my daughter: YOU are equal to a man. But you are created with different strengths. Don't let a battle for equality overshadow your uniqueness and strengths as a woman. EVERY life is precious. Just because you are a woman, you do not have the right to end a pregnancy. That is ending the life of another human. YOU have a say over your body. You should be treated with great respect. But you are not entitled to receive medical services just because you have a uterus. Elizabeth, being a woman right now is hard and challenging. But know that you are surrounded by people who love you and who will help you as you navigate all this. Work hard towards your goals and dreams. Grow in grace and wisdom.

No comments: